So you’re here. You’ve hit the point where you’re just like “WTF is going on?!” You’re unhappy, unimpressed, and underwhelmed. But why? What is it that’s going wrong and what can you do to make this better? Cuz this sucks.
Here are ten culprits that could be the reason for your life’s suck factor. And because it is completely unhelpful to point out what’s wrong without offering a solution, there are also ten relatively quick fixes for each problem.
1. You’re wasting time. You can’t seem to figure out where your hours in the day are going and why you can’t seem to get anything done.
Fix: Do a Time Audit. Figure out how you are currently spending your time. Then identify any time drains. Where are you wasting time? Who are you wasting it with? Determine how you could better use that time to do the things you want to do. Proceed accordingly.
2. You’re trying to please other people. You might believe you owe it to someone to fulfill the dreams they have for you. Maybe you feel like other people know better than you do, or know what’s best for you.
Fix: Stop listening. Determine what YOU want and dismiss the idea that you owe anybody anything. As long as you are happy and not harming anyone or yourself, you have to live your life for you.
3. You’re a spoiled brat. You don’t think you should HAVE to do anything. You’re used to getting things handed to you, ways being made for you, and never really having to work for anything.
Fix: Get over yourself. Understand that everything you want, you’re going to have to work for. The upside is that you have the choice to work towards whatever it is that delights you.
4. You don’t know what you want. You go back and forth about what you want to do, who you want to be, and what you want to have. And while some indecision is helpful in the creative process, too much can make you stagnant.
Fix: Choose something and get started. Even if you’re not 100% sure of the path you should take, making some effort in something will get you unstuck and may even help you to know if you’re making the right choice or if there’s something else you’d like more.
5. You’re procrastinating. You know what you want, but you aren’t taking any action. You might think you have plenty of time, or tend to make excuses as to why you haven’t made any moves.
Fix: Do. Something. Period. Do something. Just one thing. A small thing. Do it. Then do another thing. That can be small too. Then keep doing these small things until you see that you’ve done a big thing. Voila. Procrastination solved.
6. You haven’t taken responsibility for yourself and your life. You blame all of your woes on other people and outside circumstances. You think that if only ____________ would/wouldn’t have happened, then you could __________.
Fix: Understand that you have a choice in everything. You have the choice to wallow in your circumstance or to turn things around in your favor. Decide now what it is that you want, make a plan, and go for it.
7. You’re afraid to fail. You have incredible dreams for yourself but you always imagine falling flat on your behind and the fear of that scares you.
Fix: Go ahead and think about failure. Imagine the worst possible thing that could happen. Do you die a fiery death at the end? Do you fall into an abyss, never to be seen or heard from again? ...Probably not. So it’s safe to say that even if you DO fail, it’s not the end of the world.
8. You’re closed-minded. You think inside of a box, and things can only happen the way you have decided they would happen. You can’t imagine operating outside of your comfort zone.
Fix: Be open to the many possibilities of the way things can work out. More than likely, it’s going to be in a totally different way than you planned. If you are not open to alternatives, then you’ll miss what it is you are after.
9. You don’t think you deserve good things. Some factor from your past has caused you to believe that you are not worth the things that you want, or that things will never work out for you.
Fix: Know that you are worth every single thing you can imagine. Ignore the voice in your head that tell you that you can’t or you won’t or you shouldn’t. Treat yourself to what you want and work towards your desires knowing that you deserve all of your success.
10. You’re waiting for something to fall in your lap. You think that if you wish it and will it long enough that things will just happen for you. All you have to do and put yourself out there and wait.
Fix: Take action. There’s nothing wrong with waiting for things to happen, but if you’re waiting without working, then I can promise you that nothing is going to happen. Make a plan, follow it, and keep on wishing.
Do you find yourself looking around and saying “WTF?” to your life wayyyy too often? Do you recognize that you’re doing some of the things listed? Well what are you going to do about it?